Everyone in my family has curly hair, but none of us seem to know how to manage it properly. It has taken me years to figure out, but I finally have some good tips and routines that I do to combat frizz and to have healthier looking curls. Listed below are products and hacks. Enjoy!
- Coconut oil/hair serum
- Pillow Soft Curls
- Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, Coconut and Hibiscus
- John Frieda Curl Reviver Mouse (frizz-ease)
- Do a coconut oil hair mask once a week. Just scoop some coconut oil out of the jar (warm up in hands) and apply to the ends of the hair or anywhere else that is dry. Some people like to mix in a mashed avocado into their hair masks. Leave the mask in your hair for at least 5 minutes, in my opinion they work better if it’s at least 15 minutes though. Rinse off the mask in the shower and shampoo and condition like normal.
- Stay away from brushes. If your hair is tangled use a wide-toothed comb on wet hair or use fingers. Brushes will distort the curl and cause hair to look frizzy.
- Avoid towel drying. Try not to rub hair with a towel and if you must, gently dry hair with it. I like to use an old cotton t-shirt to dry my hair and I keep an old t-shirt on my pillow for when I sleep (to reduce static).
- Use the right hair care products. Use products that are going to moisturize your hair and that are going to define your curls. The products I use are listed above. If my hair is feeling extra dry I will add an oil to my hair care products. I always put products in when my hair is wet.
- Sleep in a very loose bun. I always take showers at night and I find that my curls look best when I pile my damp hair loosely on top of my head. This method reduces friction between your pillow and your hair. Some people like to wrap their hair in a shirt or silk cap and that is fine as well.
- Trim hair accordingly. Trimming your hair keeps your curls bouncy. If you don’t want to spend money on trimming, then take sections of hair and twist–look for breakage and trim those parts off.
- Consider using a cleansing conditioner. I went into detail about this in my previous post so please go and check that out. My curls look and feel so much better since I started using a cleansing conditioner. If you choose to start using this method, then I suggest using a clarifying/anti-residue shampoo once in a while because the cleansing conditioner can occasionally leave residue.