These exceeded my expectations! This recipe is not something I had planned. I was making some basic scones on a Saturday morning, as one does, and I just so happened to have dried cranberries and vegan chocolate in my pantry. A star was born. Some of the best scones I have made, truly.
Yum, Yum, and Yummy are three words to describe these scones.
Pin This For Later!
I used a blend of oat flour and wheat flour. You can use all-purpose if that is easier. For the fat, I used coconut oil. This made nice layers, but chilled margarine will have the same effect. The rest of the ingredients were standard vegan scone ingredients: salt, sugar, baking powder, flax egg, and soy milk. Of course I threw in the sweetened dried cranberries and dark chocolate chunks.
The dough is easy to make and the scones only take about 15 – 20 minutes in the oven (see recipe below). Each bite is flaky and full of fruit and melted chocolate. I enjoy eating these on the weekend with my morning coffee.
Dark Chocolate and Cranberry Vegan Scones
- 1/4 cup oats blended to make oat flour
- 1 & 3/4 cup all purpose or wheat flour can use 2 cups of flour if you don’t have oats.
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter (solid at room temp.)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed + 6 tbsp water to make an egg replacement
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1.5 tsp lemon juice or juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 – 1 cup soy milk mix with lemon juice to make a buttermilk alternative
- 1/4 cup vegan friendly chocolate
- Handful dried sweetened cranberries
- Make a flax egg by stirring together ground flax seed and water. Set aside for five minutes. Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Then scoop coconut oil into the dry mixture. Use a pastry cutter or a fork and knife to incorporate the solid fat. The result should look like gravel.
- Mix together lemon juice and soy milk into a separate bowl. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Then mix in the flax egg, sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture in increments. Form together the dough with a wooden spoon. Add in chocolate chunks and cranberries.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Gently form dough into a 1/2 inch thick circle. Cut 8 triangles and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Can top with a sprinkle of sugar or a glaze of your choice, this is optional though.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you make them, let me know your thoughts (tag @vegkaley on instagram). Also, tell me your favorite brunch food in the comments. Thanks for reading!