More than likely, your Instagram feed is probably flooded with smoothie bowl photos. Mine definitely is. Smoothies are my favorite. I make smoothie bowls nearly every day. Despite how they look, they are really not that complicated. Here is a recipe and some helpful tips!
(Mixed Berry Smoothie)
- 2-3 frozen bananas.
- 1.5 – 2 cups of berries (raspberries, blackberries, and cherries).
- 1/2 cup of spinach.
- 1 tablespoon of greens powder.
- 1 tablespoon of agave or maple syrup.
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup of almond milk or other plant-based milk.
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed or chia seed.
- Vegan friendly granola.
- Apple slices or whatever your prefer.
Notes: I like to blend together the spinach and flaxseed first so it is smooth. Then, I blend the other ingredients together until desired texture is achieved. Pour into a large bowl and add preferred toppings.
- Too many toppings looks messy. Stick to one or two and make it look proportional, but not too perfect either. I like to make a crescent moon shape or a circular pattern.
- Texture is key. I make the smoothie more like the texture of ice cream (nice cream). Runny smoothies will not photograph well because there will be bubbles. Also, thicker smoothies taste better in my opinion.
- Natural lighting enhances the picture. I take food pictures close to a window so that the colors turn out vibrant and not a weird yellow/brown color.
- Avoid distracting backgrounds. I didn’t use a specific background for this picture. Usually, I use a piece of fabric for a background. I try to keep it simple because I don’t want to distract from the smoothie bowl.
- Edit the photo, but don’t go overboard. I use VSCO or Afterlight to edit photos, they are both free. I avoid extreme filters because it takes away from the focus of the picture.
- Use what you already have! You don’t have to make a complicated smoothie bowl. Use the ingredients you have already. You do not have to go out of your way to buy dragon fruit or acai (unless you want to). Also, use the equipment you already have to take the picture. With good lighting, you can take a great photo using your iPhone.
I don’t think I have officially announced this on this platform yet…I am currently working on an e-book and it will contain smoothie recipes + 2 bonus breakfast recipes. It will contain detailed instructions and photos. All the recipes were created by me and all photos will be original. It’s not all put together yet, but it will be affordable (less than $5). Once it is done I will announce it and provide the link. The above recipe will be included (yay for free recipes)! I don’t know about you, but I am super excited!
Thanks for reading and tell me about your favorite smoothie in the comments!