This is scandalous to say, but these are just as good as your mom’s chocolate chip cookies. GASP. “How can that be when they are vegan?”. Well, I will show you how. This recipe doesn’t have chickpea flour or any other strange baking ingredients. This is just a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe that is made for vegans or anyone that likes tasty cookies. I deem this a down to earth recipe.
I adapted this recipe from the Nestle Toll House original recipe. You know, the one that’s on the back of the chocolate chip bag. It’s a classic and there’s no point in ruining a good thing.
For this recipe you will need:
- Standard baking ingredients
- Dairy free chocolate chips/chunks
- Ground flaxseed and a banana (for the egg replacer)
- Mixing bowls
- Spatulas and spoons
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheets
This recipe is just switching the dairy ingredients with non-dairy ingredients. The easy part is the measurements don’t even change. The egg replacement in this recipe is partly a flax egg and partly mashed banana. I typically use two tablespoons of ground flaxseed to make the flax egg, but I used one tablespoon instead. I used half of a mashed banana to also give an egg like and airy texture. The reason I did this was that I wanted the structure from the flaxseed, but I didn’t want the cookie to be dense.
This post contains affiliate links, see disclaimer policy for details.
Once you have gathered your ingredients, you will first mix together the dry ingredients. This will be the flour, salt, and baking soda. Prepare your flax egg by mixing ground flaxseeds with water and let it rest for about five minutes. While this is resting, beat together margarine, cane sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Then add in the flax egg to the wet ingredients. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix in chocolate chips and then chill the dough. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven is heated, line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon cookie dough onto the sheets. Then, bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Simple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 & 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or table salt
- 1 cup vegan butter softened
- 3/4 cup raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1-2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed + 2-3 tbsp water flax egg
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the flax egg by mixing the flaxseeds with water (leave this for 5 minutes). Mash the banana.
- Combine the dry ingredients in one mixing bowl. Cream together the margarine, vanilla extract, and sugar in another bowl. Then, add in the egg substitutes (flax egg and mashed banana).
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough (optional) for 30 minutes. Using a spoon, scoop dough onto baking sheets. There should be enough room for 12 to a baking sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful weekend!