Two cookie recipes in a row? You’re welcome! If you are looking for a chocolate fix, this is it! I love how unique these cookies are. Crinkle cookies are not only enjoyable to
Pin This For Later
Do you remember the chocolate cupcakes I made a while back? This recipe is very similar. I also adapted this from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook.
For this recipe, you will need:
- Organic powdered sugar.
- Dairy-free chocolate.
- Cane sugar or coconut sugar.
- Ground flaxseed.
- Baking powder.
- Earth Balance or vegan margarine.
- Vanilla extract.
- Large mixing bowl.
- Rubber spatula.
- Baking sheets.
I am not typically strict about buying organic products. However, with powdered sugar and granulated sugar, I do make sure to buy these organic. The reason is that processed sugar is sometimes bleached using animal bones. Using raw cane sugar, coconut sugar, and organic powdered sugar are more ethical choices than the standard white sugar (including powdered sugars). Even dark brown sugar is a better choice. For me, it is worth the extra few dollars. If that’s not a priority for you, then use what is already in your pantry.
This blog uses affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer & content policy for more details.
This might seem intimidating, but there is only one extra step compared to other cookie recipes. You start out by melting half of the chocolate and all of the margarine in a saucepan over low heat. Then, you will combine the sugar, flour, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Once the chocolate is completely melted, add this mixture along with the egg substitute and vanilla extract to the mixing bowl. Mix until everything is well-combined. Add in the remaining chocolate chips. Chill the cookie dough for a few hours. I recommend making this in the morning to ensure that the cookies will be ready the same day. Then, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll about two tablespoons of dough into a ball and dip into the powdered sugar. Repeat this and place dough balls onto the baking sheets. The cookies bake for 10 minutes.
The cookies don’t have to look perfect. It’s normal for them to look misshapen. Thanks for sticking with me. Here is the official recipe!
Vegan Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter/margarine room temperature
- 6 ounces dairy-free chocolate chips or 3/4 cup divided
- 2 cups raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 medium-sized banana mashed
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water flax eggs
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Melt the margarine and half of the chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. Combine the ground flaxseed with water to make a flax egg. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar, flour, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the melted chocolate mixture, mashed banana, flax egg, and vanilla into the mixing bowl. Mix until everything is well-combined. Add in the remaining chocolate chips. Chill the dough for about 2 hours. It will be runny at first.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. After it’s done in the refrigerator, shape dough into equal-sized balls (about 2 tbsp). Place 2 inches apart on a lined or greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve after cooling. Remaining cookies should be stored and refrigerated.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Thank you for reading!