I used to roll my eyes when a food blogger talked about tofu ricotta and how it was so similar to traditional ricotta. I didn’t believe them to be honest. Cheesy lasagna and pasta bakes were something that I missed from before I was vegan. So I started experimenting with tofu ricotta. The first time I made it, it was garbage. It tasted so bad, but I finally have a recipe that tastes good and performs similarly to traditional ricotta.
Pin This For Later ⇓♥
This recipe is also gluten free. I used a pasta that was made out of green lentils and that’s why the picture has a green hue to it.
Pasta bakes are simple to make. The only complicated part is the tofu ricotta and if you’re not into that, you can totally buy store bought vegan cheese.
To make the ricotta, blend together:
- 1/2 block of firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dried parsley and rosemary (optional)
- Approx. 1/4 cup of almond milk or until creamy
Once you have made the tofu ricotta, you just put spoonfuls in between layers of pasta and spread it out. It’s similar to a lasagna, just with different noodles.
On to what you came here for, the recipe!
Vegan Pasta Bake + Tofu RicottaCourse: Main DishesCuisine: Italian, AmericanDifficulty: Moderate
This is like a hybrid between lasagna and a casserole. Layers of pasta with tofu ricotta and nutritional yeast. Great for meal prepping or for the family.
1 package gluten free penne or pasta of your choice
1 24 oz. jar traditional pasta sauce
1 tbsp olive oil to grease baking dish
1/2 white onion
1 batch tofu ricotta see notes
1/2 tbsp minced garlic optional
1-3 nutritional yeast for topping
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup spinach optional
- For the Tofu Ricotta
1/2 block of firm tofu
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pinch of parsley and rosemary (optional)
1/4 cup soy milk
1-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare tofu ricotta by draining tofu and blending all of the ingredients together in a food processor. You can substitute a store bought vegan cheese as well.
- Boil pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is boiling. Saute onion and minced garlic in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add pasta sauce and simmer. When the sauce is thoroughly heated, add the spices of your choice and spinach.
- Grease a glass baking dish. Add a layer of pasta sauce to the bottom and then mix in the remaining sauce with the noodles.
- Alternate between layers of pasta and tofu ricotta. Top with some bread crumbs or nutritional yeast.
- Bake for at least 15 minutes or until it is bubbling and golden brown on top. Cover with foil in the oven to avoid dryness. Keep extra sauce on hand if you want it to be extra moist.
- Let cool and serve.
- The layers don’t always stay together. It is normal if it falls apart when serving and this doesn’t affect the taste!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Tell me about your favorite pasta dish in the comments.