Vegan Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Vegan chocolate cookies dipped in powdered sugar. Once baked, these delicious cookies develop crinkles. Thus the name "crinkle cookie".
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Chill (dough)2 hrs
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 cookies (makes 36)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance or margarine room temperature
- 6 ounces dairy-free chocolate chips or 3/4 cup, divided
- 2 cups raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 mashed banana for egg replacement
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
Melt the margarine and half of the chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. Combine the ground flaxseed with water to make a flax egg. Set aside.
Combine the sugar, flour, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the melted chocolate mixture, mashed banana, flax egg, and vanilla into the mixing bowl. Mix until everything is well-combined. Add in the remaining chocolate chips. Chill the dough for about 2 hours. It will be runny at first.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. After it's done in the refrigerator, shape dough into equal-sized balls (about 2 tbsp). Place 2 inches apart on a lined or greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes.
- I haven't made this gluten-free, so I cannot recommend any flour substitutes.
- The dough will be runny prior to chilling, it is normal. The dough should thicken after two hours in the refrigerator.
- You can use cocoa powder instead of melting the chocolate. But, I would still recommend adding chocolate chips.
- The original recipe from, "The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook", cited that this would yield 6 dozen. This only yields 2-3 dozen cookies.