Vegan Pasta Bake
This is like a hybrid between lasagna and a casserole. Layers of pasta with tofu ricotta and nutritional yeast. Great for meal prepping or for the family.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 1 package gluten free penne or pasta of your choice
- 1 24 oz. jar traditional pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil to grease baking dish
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 batch tofu ricotta see notes
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic optional
- 1-3 nutritional yeast for topping
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup spinach optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare tofu ricotta. See above instructions or refer to notes. You can substitute a store bought vegan cheese as well.
Boil pasta according to package instructions.
While pasta is boiling. Saute onion and minced garlic in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add pasta sauce and simmer. When the sauce is thoroughly heated, add the spices of your choice and spinach. Grease a glass baking dish. Add a layer of pasta sauce to the bottom and then mix in the remaining sauce with the noodles.
Alternate between layers of pasta and tofu ricotta. Top with some bread crumbs or nutritional yeast.
Bake for at least 15 minutes or until it is bubbling and golden brown on top. Cover with foil in the oven to avoid dryness. Keep extra sauce on hand if you want it to be extra moist.
Let cool and serve.
Blend together ricotta ingredients until smooth.
Also, the layers don't always stay together. It is normal if it falls apart when serving and this doesn't affect the taste!
- 1/2 block of firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of parsley and rosemary (optional)
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast