Simple Chocolate Cupcakes (Vegan)
Classic and simple chocolate cupcakes that are intentionally vegan. These are easy to make and delicious to eat. Make these cupcakes on Valentine's Day or any occasion needing a sweet treat!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 18 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup earth balance or any vegan friendly margarine
- 2 cups coconut sugar can use raw cane sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed + 5 tbsp water to make a flax egg
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour unbleached preferred
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup soy milk + 1 tsp lemon juice to make vegan buttermilk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 3 & 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp earth balance room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp soy milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt the chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat. Do not overcook the chocolate! While the chocolate is melting, prepare flax egg and vegan buttermilk. Set aside for later.
Combine the dry ingredients and gently stir together. Take the chocolate off the heat once it is melted.
Combine the flax egg with the sugar, water, vegan butter, and vanilla extract. Add these ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Once those are combined, add part of the chocolate to the mixture and then part of the vegan buttermilk. Alternate these until they run out. Continue stirring and folding until everything is well-combined. The batter should not be lumpy.
Spray cupcake pan or add liners. Then fill each cup 3/4 of the way. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the cupcake to ensure that it is cooked all the way through.
Allow the cupcakes to cool for at least 15 minutes. Prepare the frosting by combining the ingredients, the mixture should be thick and smooth. Frost cupcakes with a spatula or use a piping bag.
- This recipe yields about 18 cupcakes.
- I recommend all-purpose flour. I have not tried it with any gluten-free flours, so proceed with caution when using a different flour.
- You can use one mashed banana in place of a flax egg, but the texture will be different.
- This recipe is adapted from "The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook".